Monday, April 10, 2006

Asyndenton

A friend passed on this Dynamist review of "Artful Sentences: Syntax as Style," by Virginia Tufte.
"It is syntax that gives words the power to relate to each other in a sequence, to create rhythms andn emphasis, to carry meaning--of whatever kind--as well as glow individually in just the right stuff," writes Tufte. She has collected hundreds of sentences to illustrate how effective writers use specific techniques to create desired effects. She has a whole chapter on appositives and another on parallelism.
Virginia Postrel was excited to learn the meaning of asyndenton, as am I. It's stringing together words without using conjunctions: We use words like honor, code, loyalty. It's a device I see often (and have been known to employ myself when feeling floopy), but I never knew it had a name.

6 Comments:

At 12:55 AM, April 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where do I find this book? I looked on Amazon, and it said it was out of print already!

 
At 6:40 PM, April 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Veni, vidi, vici."

"I came, I saw, I conquered."

 
At 7:45 PM, April 11, 2006, Blogger aparker54 said...

The author's son is selling it at http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vt

 
At 7:58 AM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Nicole said...

Nick, I'd give you a definition, but it's not listed in The Ultra-Complete Maximegalon Dictionary of Every Language Ever. And may I say thank you again? I do so enjoy that book.

Alison, thanks for listing the address!

 
At 3:59 PM, October 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"but I had never knew it had a name."?

 
At 4:22 PM, October 30, 2007, Blogger Nicole said...

Oops. I'll fix that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home