A few random thoughts:
* What in Iraqi culture makes hitting people with shoes so offensive? I assume it's similar to the belief that showing the soles of ones shoes is awful, but I don't know the origin of that, either. Can I expect a Slate explainer, please?
* What makes Al Bohl think that whining about his firing is going to help him?
* Few things are as delicious as chicken salad sandwiches.
* A new favorite Web site: Gawker.
* And in this week's American Brandstand: Mercedes retains the lead, with Burberry at No. 2, followed by Puma, Timberland and Lexus. Excellent. And Baby Gap is No. 9? Thank you, Missy Elliott.
* Bjork's music sounds like Iceland looks.