Tuesday, September 02, 2003

The Atlanta-Journal Constitution apologizes for running a front-page photo of the Britney-Madonna kiss.

Although I normally object to newspapers' mass apologies, I have to agree that this one was in order. Yes, the kiss was big news. And it should have been covered. I even think it's appropriate to run the photo. (I say this with the full disclosure that the paper that employs me ran no such image.) But on the front page? No. Throw it inside.

The paper still would have received complaints for running the photo at all. A question I'd love to have answered is: Did the AJC run the photos of Uday and Qusay on the front page? Fallen American soldiers? And which did they think was bigger news? Which was more shocking? And which served readers more?

And one of the letters to the editor raised an interesting question:
It makes me wonder whether it is getting this kind of coverage because it is every straight man's fantasy. Would a kiss between Eminem, Justin Timberlake and 50 Cent be treated in the same manner? I have a feeling there would be a lot more outrage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home