Tuesday, May 11, 2004

New AP entry

The Associated Press Stylebook has added an entry on illegal immigrant: Used to describe those who have entered the country illegally, it is the preferred term, rather than illegal alien or undocumented worker.

I know of a couple of papers that call for "undocumented worker." I like "illegal alien" much more and am glad AP went this way. (What if that undocumented worker isn't a worker? And exactly which documents must they be missing to remain undocumented?)


At 5:12 PM, May 11, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not cut right to the chase and call "illegal immigrants" what they really are: economic refugees.

At 11:22 PM, May 11, 2004, Blogger Paul said...

An economic refugee also includes folk like me - a legal migrant

At 2:23 PM, May 12, 2004, Blogger DFW Blogger said...

This seems watered down. Illegal alien is appropriate, because (I believe) alien would be the recognized status and legal/illegal a proper adjective. Right? You can make the same case for immigrant, but it just seems so...pc police.


Post a Comment

<< Home