Wednesday, May 12, 2004

No prison abuse photos?

Mickey Kaus argues against publishing the photos of the Iraqi prison abuse.

Basically, he says publishing the photos is not moral because it will probably result in deaths "measured in the thousands and tens of thousands--once all the Arabs and others who are enraged enough by the pictures to become (or support) anti-U.S. terrorists are finished with their careers."

He has other reasons. I disagree with him on most of the points, but he explains himself well.


At 2:27 PM, May 12, 2004, Blogger DFW Blogger said...

I agree with Kaus, but I think *some* of his logic is flawed. I do not, for example, believe that there is a cause and effect relationship between publishing the photos and future deaths. I can see his point about moving the needle without actually publishing the photos, however. The story, in and of itself, should be sufficient to carry weight. The photos are merely sensational, from that perspective.

Wait - did I start this by saying I agree with Kaus?! I need to check my meds.


Post a Comment

<< Home