Friday, June 04, 2004

Enough with the spelling, already

I bring you this story not just because I like to say Rancho Cucamonga but because it also pertains to grammar. And not getting to big for your britches.

A freelance writer writes in the L.A. Times about feeling awfully proud after using the phrase "set your sites on."
I was thinking that was clever because I knew this expression pertains not to vision but to weaponry. It's not about fixing one's gaze on something; it's about fixing one's AK-47 on something. So it's not about sight, per se.

I was so proud I knew this that I forgot that it should still be spelled "sight." The thingy you look through when you aim a rifle is called a "sight." So, if you're putting something in your aim, you could say you're setting your sights on it.
A copy editor saved her.

4 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, June 05, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i first became familiar with rancho cucamonga from the movie "friday 2". i love those movies so much that when my husband and i were driving from l.a. to las vegas, we made a trip out there to pick up the old route 66 and there is a photo somewhere of me stretched out in the grass in front of the official rancho cucamonga sign.

 
At 11:13 PM, June 05, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am anonymous. - denise

 
At 12:09 AM, June 06, 2004, Blogger Peter Fisk said...

>>What a dreary little column. And, of course, she mispelled "bobkes."<<

Yeah, don't you just hate it when people pell things wrong?

 
At 1:04 AM, June 06, 2004, Blogger Nicole said...

I've never seen any of the Friday movies, and it's not because I dislike cheesy movies. Just haven't gotten around to those for some reason.

But knowing No. 2 has a little RC action, it might move up on the list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home