Wednesday, September 15, 2004

What's my line?

Languagehat discovers that a child in kindergarten is a kindergartner.
It would never have occurred to me to say anything but "kindergartener," but I looked it up in Webster's Collegiate and sure enough, the one preserving German morphology is the preferred spelling.
The blog takes the opportunity to remind readers that someone who runs a restaurant is a restaurateur. Someone who runs a restoration business is a restorator. And the art of being a midwife is pronounced mid-WIFF-ery. I did not know that.

4 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, September 15, 2004, Blogger Bill said...

And, of course, inflammation of a tendon is tendinitis.

 
At 4:07 PM, September 16, 2004, Blogger Nicole said...

And no matter how mini the amount, it will still be minuscule.

 
At 5:10 AM, September 21, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I'll admit to watching "The Apprentice." But it irks me every time they show the annoying woman and identify her as a "restauranteur." Argh. Reality-show copy editors, anyone?

 
At 10:35 AM, September 21, 2004, Blogger Nicole said...

Hey, there's no reason to "admit" to watching "The Apprentice." It's fantastic (minus the restaurateur problem, of course) and the only prime time show I tape to watch later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home