Thursday, January 20, 2005

Kinky copy

I just finished reading "Is doggie style hyphenated?" at Salon. The author says:
My stint as a copy editor at a skin mag taught me more than I ever wanted to know about the sexual proclivities of the American public.
It's a really fun read but certainly not for the easily offended.

I love the idea of crazy-detailed style sheets at such magazines. And, really, they do sound pretty detailed:
Tackling a new letter, I'd first hit the find and replace key and change every "cum" to "come" (an average of 19 changes per letter). As per my style sheet, I'd make sure every "doggie-style" was hyphenated, every "bunghole" was not, every "blowjob" was one word, every "daisy chain" was two. Picture, if you will, all of this being dispatched with a 10-month-old baby draped over my lap. In our cozy, kinky domesticity I enlisted my wife to proofread, which she'd do during commercials of "20/20."
Don't forget that to read articles at Salon, you have to have a subscription or must watch a 10-second ad. But it's painless. And this story is worth it.

4 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, January 20, 2005, Blogger Bill said...

It used to be that pullout quotes from Playboy Playmates always just happened to justify to the perfect column width. I'd love to hear from the people in charge of that editing chore.

 
At 12:32 AM, January 21, 2005, Blogger Peter Fisk said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:46 AM, January 21, 2005, Blogger Peter Fisk said...

Wow, Nicole, if you keep going with this trend in content, your site's hit count is going to go through the roof! (Course, Net Nanny won't let me read it anymore.)

 
At 10:45 AM, January 21, 2005, Blogger Nicole said...

What can I say? Copy editing touches the hearts of so many ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home