Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Trooper vs. trouper

The latest edition of the Columbia Journalism Review is online, and that means a new Language Corner. This month's is about:
Is someone who perseveres in the face of difficulty a real trooper, "akin to calling someone a brave little soldier," or a real trouper, "a professional performer for whom the show must go on, no matter what?"
The answer is trouper, with its own definition in Merriam-Webster's: "a person who deals with and persists through difficulty or hardship without complaint."

4 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, January 05, 2005, Blogger Mike said...

"Do You Speak American?" is airing on PBS tonight. Right now, actually. Looks interesting. Just FYI.

 
At 5:25 PM, January 12, 2005, Blogger Nicole said...

I'm kicking myself. Saw your comment too late, and I was hoping to catch this!

 
At 2:44 PM, February 21, 2011, Anonymous bob y said...

My daughter-in-law is about to have twins, and is working until the last minute. My son called her "a trooper," with which I agreed. Then a friend emailed, saying his wife was staying with their daughter while she recuperated from a back operation. He called his wife "a trouper," which I figured was wrong. I stand corrected.
Thanks.

 
At 8:04 PM, April 03, 2011, Blogger 5556777 said...

I just wondered about this, and Googled trooper trouper. This page was the first hit. Thanks for the clarification.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home