Thursday, March 24, 2005

A dream come true?

I read a lot of references to "a copy editor's nightmare" -- usually in reference to wacky capitalization or punctuation of proper nouns ("Yahoo! -- a copy editor's nightmare," "moe., a copy editor's nightmare" or "(hed) Planet Earth -- a copy editor's nightmare."

I'm a copy editor, but these are not my nightmares. In fact, they're some of the easiest errors to deal with: Proper nouns are capitalized. Errant punctuation disappears. Voila.

But I saw a reference today to a copy editor's nightmare that made sense:
Best band name: Very Be Careful. This band from Los Angeles plays Colombian styles mixed with African drums. In these days of irony, post-irony and post-irony irony, I love this name. It's a copy editor's nightmare.
Nightmare is strong, but it certainly would make me pause to look it up. And there's only so much time in the day to look stuff up.

3 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, March 24, 2005, Blogger Bill said...

One of the greatest doubles players in tennis history was named Frew McMillan. More than one copy editor in the '70s and '80s turned him into Fred.

 
At 11:16 PM, March 24, 2005, Blogger Nicole said...

When I Googled "copy editor's nightmare" I came across a person with the first name of Jenniphr.

Indeed.

 
At 9:38 PM, March 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennaphr Frederick is a copy editor's nightmare. Aside from spelling her name like that, she's the host of a morning TV news show. Forget the bad spelling her parents cursed her with. Morning and TV news are two of my nightmares.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home