Thursday, May 05, 2005

Cheers!

Noticing more people signing off e-mails with "cheers"? (If you get e-mails from me, you probably have.)

A story from the Chicago Tribune (that I read at OrlandoSentinel.com) has a story about the "trend."
So is cheers a trend?

"If you notice cheers, and I notice cheers, it's a trend," confirms New York Times language czar William Safire. "My guess is cheers is a Britishism allied to 'cheerio' that we've picked up, but I wouldn't necessarily call cheers an affectation. It's more the globalization of language.
Why is it gaining in popularity? Here's an idea:
Cheers is a British form by way of Canada, originally voiced as a salutation before drinking. At some point, though, our Canadian neighbors turned cheers into a friendly, all-purpose exit line.

4 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, May 05, 2005, Blogger Doug said...

Gee, and I always thought it was just a wire-service thing.
chrs,
doug

 
At 8:40 PM, May 05, 2005, Blogger freedom said...

Huh? I've lived in Canada, worked in Canada and have beaucoup Canadian friends. I can't recall anybody saying "cheers." I think it's just Americans trying desperately to cheer each other up. It's a fun little greeting. That's it.

 
At 8:43 PM, May 05, 2005, Blogger Nicole said...

Lord knows most of us need all the cheering up we can get.

 
At 11:04 PM, May 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Brits also use it in place of "thanks."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home