Tuesday, May 03, 2005

CNN.com makes my heart hurt

CNN.com, that bastion of journalistic integrity, is making my eyes cross today. First, it has a headline about the BTK case: "Accused BTK serial killer pleads not guilty." No, no, no! An accused serial killer is still a serial killer, not a man accused of being a serial killer. (Then I start thinking, what on earth could a serial killer be accused of that warrants such big play?)

As the New York Times stylebook says: "
Just as an accused stockbroker is a stockbroker, an accused forger is some type of forger. Avoid any construction that implies guilt on the part of someone merely accused, charged or suspected.
Then, a little less egregious but equally grating, it has a headline about climate change that says, "Clues to future may lay in past."

That's it. I'm getting off the Internet for a while.


At 11:30 PM, May 03, 2005, Anonymous Wyckyd Sceptre said...

And I'm sure that in CNN's report, Wichita was referred to as "a quiet, small, unassuming little town."

Troglodyte bastards.

At 1:00 AM, May 04, 2005, Blogger Nick said...

If anyone from CNN is reading, I offer to be your crawl copy editor for something less than $100,000. Nicole knows how to reach me.

At 4:11 PM, May 04, 2005, Blogger James d. said...

It only gets worse on Sundays, when CNN headlines the #1 grosser at the box office. Winners like "Kidman translates thrills into dollars" can be found nearly every week there.

At 9:58 PM, May 04, 2005, Blogger Nicole said...

I had MSNBC on as I fell asleep last night, a look at the BTK case featuring interviews with Hurst Laviana with a Wichita Eagle backdrop. (I'm pretty sure I made out Denise in the way-back background.) Alas, I was out before I got to recognize anything else good.

At 11:42 AM, May 05, 2005, Blogger Nick said...

Keep watching NBC/MSNBC/CNBC/Bravo/USA, and you'll see it again. They've been recycling and repackaging all the interviews and footage they've done on BTK, and they keep appearing on the schedule as "new" BTK specials. So I'm sure you'll have an opportunity to make out Denise for sure!


Post a Comment

<< Home