Saturday, September 10, 2005

And they're not even copy editors

The language pet peeves of everyday people.

An example:
I automatically discount the opinions of those who:

* mix up "discreet" and "discrete". (I bought a book which included the word "Discrete" in the title. The back cover had a footnote explaining the difference between the two words. I view the fact that this is necessary as a sign of the coming apocalypse.)

* talk about "facists" or "rascists". (Facists discriminate on the basis of facial appearance? Rascists: those who kill grandmothers with axes?)

* call people "rediculous" or "dellusional". (Our own PP has been cured of this at last!)

* say "rouge" when they mean "rogue". (Of course, that happens in Warcraft, not here, but it still irritates me.)

I used to be bothered by "different to" (as opposed to "different from") but I gather that's a regional difference, not incorrect.
And another:
affect / effect. One of our customers almost always uses "affect" when they should be using "effect" - it drives me batshit insane because any fixed typos have to get tracked back to the customer for approval, stalling their entire order.
And then this poem about misspelling:
Eye halve a spelling chequer,
It came with my pee, see;
It plane lea marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye Cannes knot sea.

Eye strike a key oar type align,
An weight four it two say,
Weather eye am write oar wrong--
It chose me strait aweigh.

A soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long,
And eye can put the err or write
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Sew eye have run this poem awl threw it
Ewe must bee please two, no?
Its let her perfect awl the weigh;
My chequer tolled me sew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home