Thursday, September 22, 2005

Language jokes

The Language Log post about the BC comic strip also referred to a joke about grammar, which I've heard before but still makes me laugh. (Really, I'm a sucker for these jokes.) Here's one version:
A gentleman wanders around the campus of a college looking for the library. He approaches a student and asked, "Excuse me young man. Would you be good enough and tell me where the library is at?"

The student, in a very arrogant and belittling tone, replied, "I sorry, sir, but at this school, we are taught never to end a sentence with a preposition!"

The gentleman smiled, and in a very apologetic tone replied, "I beg your pardon. Please allow me to rephrase my question. Would you be good enough to tell me where the library is at, asshole?"

And here's one more language joke from the page; this one was new to me:
A Mexican bandit held up a bank in Tucson. The sheriff and his deputy chased him. When they captured him, and the sheriff, who couldn't speak Spanish, asked him where he'd hidden the money. "No se nada," he replied.

The sheriff put a gun to the bandit's head and said to his bi-lingual deputy: "Tell him that if he doesn't tell us where the money is right now, I'll blow his brains out." Upon receiving the translation, the bandit became very animated. "Ya me acuerdo! Tienen que caminar tres cuadradas hasta ese gran arbol. Debajo del arbol, alli esta el dinero." The sheriff leaned forward. "Yeah? Well..?"

The deputy replied: "He says he wants to die like a man."

2 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, September 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favorite quotes, attributed to Churchill (though I haven't really verified) is:

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." :-)

 
At 12:23 AM, September 23, 2005, Blogger Nicole said...

I love it, too! Unfortunately, it's most likely apocryphal.

Here's an earlier post on the topic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home