Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Capital committees

I've been working overtime in business this week, so I'm coming across a lot of stories I wouldn't normally be editing.

And the question that's been bugging me all day is, why doesn't everyone lowercase the Senate banking committee?

Here's AP's ruling on committee: Do not abbreviate. Capitalize when part of a formal name: the House Appropriations Committee.

Do not capitalize committee in shortened versions of long committee names: the Special Senate Select Committee to Investigate Improper Labor-Management Practices, for example, became the rackets committee. The committee's full name is the U.S. Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs. (I guess the Senate believes in the serial comma.) Shortened, it should be the Senate banking committee.

Maybe I'm being too much of a stickler on this (I don't think national security adviser should be capped before a name, either). But what's a good reason for capping it?

The only publication I've found to lowercase it so far is the Financial Times in England. (And most Canadian publications tended to lowercase it, even in the AP story.) For the rest, it's up.

1 Comments:

At 12:25 AM, November 17, 2005, Blogger James said...

You'll be happy to know that I mentioned your post on "banking committee" on the desk tonight, and The Daily Star of Oneonta, NY, will have it correct. For the one article, at least.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home