MTV hiring a copy editor
Here's the job post, from MediaBistro:
MTV News is looking for a copy editor to work with online news, features and other editorial projects in our Times Square headquarters. Responsibilities include:They want you to have two years' experience, preferably in magazines or online news.
* Day-to-day editing of news stories, features and reviews, which includes line editing, copy editing and fact checking on a tight deadline.
* Crafting smart and engaging headlines, subheads, promotional copy, etc.
* Working with newswriters to help shape larger features.
* Developing and maintaining an appropriate voice and tone to correspond with our audience's interests and attitude; also working directly with writers to develop and maintain that voice, stressing the importance of connecting with our target audience.
* Contributing to daily content meetings and brainstorming gatherings.
* Staying on top of what's happening on MTV as well as the greater issues, trends and personalities that are important to our audience.
Basically, are you a wiz at writing engaging headlines? Do you know your AP style guide inside and out? Can you turn 1,200 words from a wet-behind-the-ears freelancer into 800 words that sing? And can you keep your cool on a deadline that's measured in minutes, not hours or days? Then we're looking for you.
Apply at MTV.