Sunday, February 12, 2006

Olympic notes

AP style calls for:
Olympics, the Olympic Games, the Winter Olympics, the games
ski, skis, skier, skied, skiing, ski jump, ski jumping

And it is Turin or Torino? Most papers seem to be going with Turin (as the city), with some mentions of Torino 2006 as the official name of the event. Plenty of people are explaining their decisions to readers. Here's but a sampling:

Italian Englished [You Don't Say]
Why isn't it Torino? Because it's not Italia [San Jose Mercury News]
Turin or Torino? [Houston Chronicle]
Aahh, Torino: Turin is a turn for the worse [San Francisco Chronicle]
As the world Turins, or Torinos? [Fort Worth Star-Telegram]


At 9:41 AM, February 14, 2006, Blogger JP said...

Despite what the AP Stylebook rule says, I'm seeing "games" routinely capitalized in Olympic stories. I just did a quick check of the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Reuters, and I found this word capitalized in all of them when used alone. Perhaps the AP Stylebook should consider revising its rule on this to follow popular usage. I think the Olympics is such a unique worldwide sporting event that an argument can be made for giving it special treatment and capitalizing the shortened common noun form of its name.

By the way, I enjoyed your article in the latest issue of the ACES newsletter.

At 10:08 PM, February 15, 2006, Blogger Nicole said...

It looks as if the lowercase G in "the Games" is a recent rule change for AP. My 2000 edition says to capitalize "the Games." By 2002, the book called for the lowercase.

And thanks for the note about my article. I'm sure the next installment, where I get to talk about copy editing instead of myself, will be more fun.


Post a Comment

<< Home