... Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
The Scripps National Spelling Bee wraps up today, and you can catch it on TV. Continuation of the fourth round will begin Thursday at 11 a.m. Central time on ESPN. ABC is carrying the championship rounds starting at 7.
Who should you watch for?
Five students in this year's bee have been there at least three times before:
- John Louis Tandy Tamplin, 13, of Louisville, Ky., is going on his fifth bee. His highest finish, last year, was 11th.
- Katharine Close, 13, of Spring Lake, N.J., is also in her fifth bee. She tied for seventh last year.
- Rajiv Tarigopula, 13, of St. Louis is in his fourth bee. He finished fourth last year.
- Nidharshan Subra Anandasivam, 12, of Brownsville, Texas, is in his fourth bee.
- Samir Patel, 12, of Colleyville, Texas, is in his fourth bee. He already has a second- and third-place finish under his belt.
Want to find spellers from your area? Check here.
And if you still want more spelling bee news, read Throwing Things. They are live-blogging the spelling bee. Here's an excerpt:
In the pantheon of spellers, Samir is at the top. If spelling were Hollywood, Samir would be Will Smith -- young, charismatic, just self-deprecating enough to make it okay that he knows his own greatness and exceedinlgy adorable to the public mainly because his ears are too big. But Hollywood aside, between you and me, I'm worried about Samir. The Bee is prime time this year. The media's built it into an EVENT. The good people over at ABC have already filmed a special profile on Samir. There's pressure.They're also running a spelling bee pool.
All this talk had me wondering what Rebecca Sealfon -- the hand-whispering euonym-shouting 1997 winner -- is up to these days. Wikipedia says she majored in ecology and evolutionary biology at Princeton and is now pursuing a PhD at Duke. I believe it. Someone also dedicated a Web site to her.
I also found this quiz:
Which Famous Dork Are You?
You are Rebecca Sealfon. You know, that spelling bee girl. That whole spelling into your hands thing is really frickin weird.
Take this quiz!