Monday, October 16, 2006

I'm starting a new job

Hey, everyone! I just finished a nice, long vacation in Wichita, where I enjoyed fall temperatures and some much-appreciated time with family and friends.

Now it's back to Dallas. And blogging. And the Morning News' news copy desk -- but just for one more week.

Next Monday, I'll be starting a new job at the paper, as presentation editor of the Editorial Department. Here's the description:
This unusual position blends the skills of a copy, layout and originating editor and oversees production of all Editorial, Viewpoints and Points pages, a minimum of 18 pages each week. In addition, the presentation editor is a full member of the Editorial Board and helps shape the newspaper's position on issues, blogs regularly on DallasMorningViews and writes occasional editorials. The editor deals with freelancers and is backup editor of Viewpoints and Points.
Viewpoints is our Op/Ed page. Points is our Sunday opinion section. And Dallas Morning Views is the Editorial blog.

In other news, if you've e-mailed me in the past, oh, month and haven't gotten a response yet, I apologize. It's been pretty crazy, and I'm now officially on the catch-up train. (I'm usually quite prompt; I promise.)

13 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, October 16, 2006, Blogger Josh said...

Quelle rock star!

 
At 12:35 AM, October 17, 2006, Blogger tom said...

How's this for a coincidence: I just quit the same job at the Merc last month and went back to the features desk.

Do you have help or are you doing this all yourself?

 
At 1:55 AM, October 17, 2006, Blogger Nicole said...

My main job duties will be copy editing, but I'll act as backup for design and originating editing. The blogging is a job that everyone is required to do. And the editorial writing will be sporadic.

Why'd you get out of editorial, Tom?

 
At 8:33 AM, October 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great job. I've been in journalism all my adult life but have never worked at a daily. Just weeklies, monthlies and quarterlies.

 
At 12:14 PM, October 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent news. I hope your mandated blogging doesn't take away from your blogging here.

 
At 12:39 PM, October 17, 2006, Blogger tom said...

Nicole: I had a cushy gig, laying out the editorial and op-ed pages ... I copy-edited two or three editorials in addition to the layout duties.

I took the job because a higher-up asked me if I was interested and I said, "what the heck, I'll give it a try."

In the ensuing year the Merc's news/biz/features copy editing staff was reduced from the mid-40s to the mid-20s by a combination of buyouts, attrition and reluctance to hire w/all the Knight Ridder selloff stuff going down. My job was the same as it had been before all this chaos and it seemed like I wasn't pulling my weight in comparison to what everybody else was going through, with their workloads increased by 30 or 40 percent.

The other major factor was that I was sick to death of screaming at CCI -- the combination of its innate stupidity and my anger-management issues. I was utterly unable to reconcile myself to its stupidity, and my deadline f-bomb explosions became the stuff of legend around the merc. Only took me 7 years to figure out CCI was ruining my life.

I'm back on the rim now with no intention of ever doing pagination again. Working like a dog but glad to be shed of layout duties.

 
At 1:56 PM, October 17, 2006, Blogger Andy Bechtel said...

Congrats! I'm sure we will all be interested to read about how this change goes for you.

 
At 5:27 PM, October 17, 2006, Blogger Bill said...

Good going!

 
At 6:43 PM, October 17, 2006, Blogger Nicole said...

Josh, tell me you didn't send that note from Brazil.

 
At 10:40 AM, October 18, 2006, Blogger Jim said...

Congratulations! I'll have to start catching Dallas Morning Views.

 
At 6:30 PM, October 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new gig!

 
At 6:33 PM, October 19, 2006, Blogger Nicole said...

Thanks, everyone! Just a couple of days away ...

 
At 1:00 AM, October 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I'm always happy to see jobs that combine vastly different skills like copy editing and design. Shifting gears between the two is a natural transition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home