Saturday, March 17, 2007

Font on film

The movie "Helvetica" had its world premiere at SXSW this week. The font celebrates its 50th birthday this year, and the feature-length film looks at its specifics and "typography, graphic design and global visual culture" in general.

Is it coming to a city near you soon? Probably. Here are the screening dates.

And you can win a limited-edition fine art poster from the film (very cool) in this haiku contest. Just write about a font. Here are a few of my favorites so far:
In my design class
I got hit for using you
Retro IS cool, though

COMIC SANS: a haiku
Hey guys! LOL!
I forward jokes! And cat pics!
I heart MSN.

not arial, my
helvetica brings the
boys to the yard

Egg-shaped and awkward,
and you have no descenders.
I hate you, Hobo.

wedding invite came
they chose brush script mt bold
i give it six months
The "Helvetica" showing at SXSW sold out, of course. And the screening in Dallas next week is booked, too. To get my typographical cinema fix, I'll be forced to see "Zapf Dingbats: Rise to Glory" instead.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, March 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

longtime is not hyphenated, but one-time is ... right? (AP style, i mean.)

i'm a sports editor at a daily outside philly ... and i like your blog.

joe

 
At 5:06 PM, March 18, 2007, Blogger Nicole said...

Hmm, that would be a fun trip. I can't say I'd fly to KC just for the film, but I could parlay that into a nice Wichita vacation ...

 
At 5:07 PM, March 18, 2007, Blogger Nicole said...

Joe, you are correct. As adjectives, you use "one-time" and "longtime."

 
At 1:20 AM, March 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Infopimps obsess;
designers drool over fonts;
errors multiply.

 
At 2:53 AM, April 25, 2008, Blogger angelina said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home